Thursday, October 12, 2006

We almost didn't make it out alive.

It was 7:00 p.m. on a Saturday night at Costco. My husband and I had just arrived about 10 minutes earlier and were meandering around the aisles. Wow, we thought, this is sure the time to come to Costco - got a good parking space, practically empty, aren't we smart? Well as we headed towards the household cleaner section, a stern Costco employee stepped into our path, held up a flashlight - what the heck?? - and told us they were closed and to head to the front of the store. Closed!! What, this can't be, I thought. I was so close to the Electrosol tablets that I could practically smell them. I screamed Nooooooooooooooo! silently in my head and looked with longing down the aisle. The Costco employee was not smiling and once again brandished the flashlight menacingly. I looked for a detour, but my way was blocked by another Costco employee. They were blocking every aisle except for the ones that led to the checkout. How could I be so close yet so far away??!! My husband was going through his own turmoil as the only thing he wanted was coffee. We looked at each other and I knew instantly he was going to make a run for it. Our eyes met for a moment and I knew that if we didn't see each other on the other side of the checkout counter, we would never doubt the love we had for each other. I headed to the front of the store with our cart and as I came to the medicine section, I darted and ran (yes, I really did) to the contact solution area. I didn't stop and I skidded around the corner grabbing the right brand of solution. My hurdle was over but my husband was nowhere in sight. I slowly placed my few items on the checkout belt, trying to buy time for a husband I may never see again. All hope was lost as I handed my membership card to the checker. Tears welled up in my eyes and I thouht of how I would make sure that the childeren knew that their father was a hero. Suddenly the blur of red t-shirt in motion caught my eye - yes, it was him!!! He was headed down the main aisle with objects in both arms. Coffee.....and....let me compose myself...........ELECTROSOL tablets!!!!! I ran towards him and we embraced and fell to the floor. We walked hand in hand to place the final two items on the belt. I said with awe "how in the world did you get the coffee and Electrosol?". As he fought back the tears of relief, he could only whisper.........I can't talk about it my love, I just can't go through it again....

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelli said...

Oh my gosh Allison that is so funny!

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home